Join Us for Conference!Sharing the Keys to Learning
March 24 - March 25, 2017
The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen, VA
featuring Keynote Speaker Julie Bogart
FRIDAY, SESSION 1, 1–2 p.m.
- The Invisible Education: Emotional Safety for Love and Learning – Julie Bogart
- Staging your Homeschool Development and Learning, Part 1: Human Developmental Signs – Pamela Schmidt and Rebecca Esch
- How to Get Rich: A Session for Teens and Tweens – Kati Hornung
- Teaching Complex Topics When You Only Get to Meet Once a Week – Renee Jackson
- Changing it Up: When Things That Should Work, Don’t – Angela Tuell
- Beginning Homeschooling (Free) – Stephanie Elms
- What If Something Happens? How To Build an Emergency Learning/Life Plan for Your Homeschooled Child (Especially for a Child with Special Needs) – Sarah Blunkosky, M.A.
FRIDAY, SESSION 2, 2:30–3:30p.m.
- The Secret to Writing Breakthroughs for All Ages – Julie Bogart
- Educating with Minecraft – Catina Sweedy
- Using an Evaluator for Proof of Progress – Jeanne Faulconer and Sarah Blunkosky
- Forest Kids for All Ages: Create Community and Get Outdoors! – Marni Kammersell
- A Methodical Approach to the College Application Process, Part 1: Laying the Groundwork – Erin Scherger
- The Teen Years: Tutoring & New Avenues for Learning – Rebecca Esch and Pamela Schmidt
- The Honorable Intellectual Gatekeeper: Navigating Challenging Ideas and Perspectives with Our Children – Jen Downey
FRIDAY, SESSION 3, 4:15–5:15 p.m.
- Using Video Games in Education – Catina Sweedy
- Scaffolding Math – Jennifer Georgia
- The Amazing You – Florence F. Brooks
- Using Projects and Websites To Do Real Historic Work in Your Homeschool – Sarah Blunkosky, M.A.
- A Methodical Approach to the College Application Process, Part 2: Assembling the Paperwork – Erin Scherger
- Reading: When to Worry – Dr. Wald
- How to Use Art When You Are Not an Artsy Type – Denise Tipton
SATURDAY, SESSION 1, 9–10 a.m.
- Updating Charlotte Mason to the 21st Century – Julie Bogart
- Mom, Don’t Make Me Think – Just Tell Me the Answer! – Kathleen Cotter Lawler
- What Does Vision Have to Do with ADHD and LD Anyway? – Dr. Tod Davis
- Igniting a Zeal for History in Your Older Homeschooler – Renee Jackson
- Pros and Cons of Part-Time and/or Dual Enrollment in High School – Erin Scherger
- Beginning Homeschooling, Part 1: Navigating Paperwork and Legalities – Stephanie Elms
- Homeschooling TraVersed – Jeanne Faulconer
SATURDAY, SESSION 2, 10:30–11:45 a.m.
SATURDAY, SESSION 3, 1:15–2:15 p.m.
- Beginning Homeschooling, Part 2: But What Do I Do Monday? – Stephanie Elms
- Desperately Seeking Science Curriculum – Karen Shumway
- Taking the Fear Out of Fractions – Kathleen Cotter Lawler
- Accredited Programs, Virtual Schools, Correspondence Schools, and Enrolled Homeschooling: Are They for You? – Karen Skelton
- Plan Your Way to Kindergarten: Homeschooling Preschool – Parrish Mort
- The Curious Collector: Encouraging, Corralling, and Curating Your Child’s Collection for Learning Across the Curriculum – Mary Sandkam
- Helping a Teen with Challenges Prepare for Life After Homeschool – Sarah Zmick
SATURDAY, SESSION 4, 2:45–3:45 p.m.
- Think Three: The Trick to Academic Writing – Julie Bogart
- Homeschooling Highschool: Keeping things in Perspective – Stephanie Elms
- Fuel Your Soul: Live Longer, Live Happier, Nurture Connections – Erin Scherger
- Do It Yourself Montessori – Carrie Stevens
- Incorporating Tabletop Games into Everyday Homeschooling – Mary Sandkam
- You’re Doing What? How to Answer Inquiries from the Simply Curious and the Outright Hostile – Parrish Mort
- How Dyslexia Helped a Burned Out Homeschool Mom Love Homeschooling Again – Elizabeth Bolin
SATURDAY, SESSION 5, 4:45–5:45 p.m.
- Yes, It Counts: Interest-led Learning for Teens – Jeanne Faulconer
- Don’t Fear the FAFSA! – Mark Scherger
- Homeschool Help Desk – Karen Skelton, Stephanie Elms, Robin Martin and Stephanie Carlson
- Creating Calm in Your Homeschool – Karen Shumway
- Simple Fixes for Common Learning Problems – Sarah Zmick
- Field Trips To Meet the Needs Across the Varying Ages of Homeschoolers – Maggie Smith
- Making Sense of Math: A Waldorf-inspired Approach to Teaching Math in the Early Grades – Wendy Richardson